Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hishoku no Sora (Scarlet Sky)


I watched the anime series titled 'Shakugan no Shana', and I'm not sure why, but everytime I hear the opening theme song play, I'm filled with emotions that make me want to cry. It's not like I understood what was sung. And to be honest, I've had a few times where my eyes did well up with tears. So after watching the whole two seasons which were released, I decided to do a little research on the song lyrics translation. Then, I understood why I cried....

Lyrics : Kawada Mami
Music & Arrangement : Nakazawa Tomoyuki
Vocals : Kawada Mami (I've)

Japanese phonetics:

Soshite kono sora akaku somete mata kuru toki kono mi de susumu dake

Surechigatte iku ‘hito’ mo magirenakushita ‘MONO’ mo
Itsuka wa kieyuku toki
Atsuku yurugasu ‘tsuyosa’ hakanaku yureru ‘yowasa’
Shosen onaji mirai

Sonna nichijou kouka wo tokashi arawareru hi kureru sekai

Kaze ni nabikase sen wo hiite nagareru you na kamisaki teki wo sasu
Yurikitta omoi minagiru yume
Subete wa ima kono te de shimei hatashiteyuku dake

Mata hi ga hitotsu otosare sotto dokoka de kieta
Genjitsu kawaranu hibi
Dakedo tashikani kanjiru kimi no nukumori kodou
Kore mo shinjitsu da to

Soshite kurenai koujin wo maki yuuhi wo sei ni ima hajimaru saa

Naze takanaru kokoro ni mayoi tomadoi kanjiru no
Hayaku itazura ni abaredasu itami kowashite

Sora ni nijinda yaketa kumo wa uchi ni himeta negai ga kogashiteru
Tameratta hitomi ukabu namida demo ashita no chikara ni kaete

Subete sasagete mai orita chi saeru yaiba hitotsu de yami wo kiru
Itsu datte mune wo oku no hikari mabatakasete
Kono mi de shimei hatashiteyuku dake

English Translation:

And therefore, dye this sky red. The time has come again for my body to only go forward

Even the ‘people’ who pass by and the ‘THINGS’ which become lost in confusion
Will one day be like vanished memories
A passionate unwavering ‘strength’, a fleeting swaying ‘weakness’
They meet the same end after all

Such ordinary days melt the mundane world. The sun appears above the crimson world

Flutter in the wind and draw back the lines. Like the flowing tips of the hair, pierce the enemy
The feelings which were slashed, the swelling dream
Now, I will only carry all of my duties in my hands until the end

Once again, another light has fallen, it has quietly disappeared to somewhere
It’s the reality which doesn’t change day after day
However, I definitely feel it, your warmth, your heartbeat
This can also be called the truth

And therefore, it becomes crimson, scattering the mundane world. It’s now starting in the background of the evening sun

Why do I feel hesitation and confusion in my rapidly throbbing heart?
Hurry, destroy this pain which explodes in useless rage

The stained and scorched clouds in the sky burn the wishes concealed within
Tears welled up in my hesitant eyes, but change them into strength tomorrow

Offer up everything to the land where I have descended. With my single bright blade, I shall decapitate the darkness
The light deep within my heart will always sparkle
I will only carry out my duties until the end


It is a beautiful story and it is complimented with a beautiful opening theme song. Perhaps it was the way Kawada Mami sang it with feelings. Surprisingly, the song is upbeat but with quite a sad but energetic melody. Some sort of like a need to fulfill an honourable task and therefore requires sacrifice. Mind you that at this time, I still did not know what the song meant. Kawada seemed to have captured my attention to her singing. She was like communicating with me via tunes and managed to reach out to my senses. Without a doubt, I cried real hard after finding out the meaning of this song.

When I heard her sing, I felt like I needed to fulfill my duties to the end even if it felt like a losing cause. Perhaps, in all hopelessness in the world, there are those who still strive to hold on to something important ... HONOUR.... Honour meant that we fight on against all odds. I am very drawn to this idea and even made it a principle in my life. Probably why I admire the Japanese and their Samurai culture. I guess even in simple cartoons and comics, the Japs have maintained one of their most treasured traditions and that is the mindset of an honourable way of life.

Anyway, I'd recommend anyone who is interested in anime to give this series a go. Apparently, there is a third season to which I am still waiting for it to be released. I will not spoil the story for you. Just watch it for yourself and besides, my main objective in this entry is the song and how it captured me.

You may say that I am an emo person and I'd agree to a certain extent. I do not feel a need to justify myself since this is a part of me. But one thing I have to put through is that I trust my senses and when I feel the way I do, it is probably the most honest feeling that is in me.

Ps:- I did not post my artworks up yet. I decided to put it up only when I have received my assessment results. So, it'll be up soon enough.

5 comments:

Jon Cheng said...

sounds like it has something 2 do with shinigami and enma if u understand... tis emo and weird song lah

Anonymous said...

It really is quite a beautiful song. I've recently found it and it fits my life perfectly.

I've recently lost my girlfriend, and I've been in and out of hospitals like crazy. This song, when i first listened to it just seemed to touch me. I have to keep going forward no matter the sacrifice and no matter the pain.

Anonymous said...

I'am listening to the song and it touches me to because my brother lost his friend and i feel like i can feel his and my family's sadness.

Anonymous said...

The translation is a bit off, the lyrics are really much darker. Here's what I got from my limited knowledge of Japanese:

And when the sky is dyed crimson, again I will only is move forward then.

I hated people going, being truly lost and alone, and memories that eventually fade Hot shaking strength, sad swaying weakness, rant of the same fate.

Such that everyday the red mist will melt away and the crimson world will fully appear.

The fluttering wind draws the line and flows through my hair as I stab my enemy. Vibrating murderous feelings spread through my dreams.

Now everything in this mission at hand, only I can carry out.

Once again a light that dropped gently somewhere was extinguished, day after day reality remains indifferent.

But I surely fell the warm heartbeat of yours, it also must be true.

And crimson red dust is spreading, with the sunset now in the back I begin now.

Why does my throbbing heart dither and shy away so fast, this prank will make me go berserk and break with pain.

The smeared sky and burnt clouds is the hidden wish that I burned inside, hesitating with tears in my eyes but the strength of tomorrow will change it.

I devoted everything dancing to the ground with the murderous cold blade in darkness. When inside my chest the light starts flashing, I can finish this mission.

Anonymous said...

this song is wickkkkkeeeeedddddd cooolll!!!
i just blown my head because of this song.woohoo!!!